Aubergines are in season. There are plenty of yummy recipes where the aubergine is the star. This is one of my favourite recipes for using aubergines. Usually, a batch doesn’t last very long in my fridge :)
- 2 large aubergines
- 3 tbsp firm tahini
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Set your oven to 150 C/302 F. Prick your aubergines with a fork and put them on an oven tray. (if you don’t prick your aubergines they may explode in the oven, I learned that the hard way).
- Let the aubergines bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size.
- Turn the aubergines at least twice while baking in the oven.
- Once the aubergines are ready, remove them from the oven and let them cool off.
- Scrape out the insides of the aubergines into a food processor. Ensure that there is no skin added to the bowl. Add tahini, garlic clove and lemon juice. Mix together for about 3-5 minutes until even.
- Add the oil while the food processor is still running. Let the food processor run for about 10 minutes with shorter stops throughout not to exhaust the engine. The texture should be smooth and even.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight jar.