I love saffron, especially in any sort of candy. This is an easy recipe for the classic brittle with thin almond flakes which really makes this sweet and crunchy brittle irresistible.
- 75-gram vegan butter/margarine
- 1 ½ dl oat cream or non-dairy cream
- 0,5 gram saffron
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 4,5 dl sugar
- 1 dl light syrup
- 3-5 tbsp thin almond flakes
- powder sugar
- Melt vegan butter in a pot.
- Add saffron and vanilla sugar and whisk together until evenly blended with the melted butter.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add non-dairy cream and stir.
- Add sugar and syrup, stir and place the pot on the heat again.
- Bring to boil then reduce the heat while continuing to stir.
- Allow to cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes while stirring.
- Test the mixture by adding a dollop to a glass with cold water. If the sugar batter solidifies and stands up in the cold water, the brittle is ready.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add almond flakes and stir.
- Pour the sugar batter onto a large tray covered with a sheet of baking paper.
- Let cool down and solidify.
- Once solid, smash the brittle to pieces or break it apart. Dust with powdered sugar and store in an airtight container in a dry place.