This is a classic, quick and simple cashew cream cheese. It’s beyond easy to make and can be used on pizza (it’s so nice and I actually prefer this before the store bought variety that melts and all that).
Make a few different varieties for a vegan cheese platter and enjoy these with sourdough crackers and a nice glass of wine.
The one pictured above I’ve flavoured with fresh basil, garlic and Hungarian sweet paprika powder.
- 2,5 dl raw cashew nuts
- 0,5 to 1 dl cold water – depending on the level of firmness you want to achieve
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 pot fresh basil, oregano or any other herb
- 2 pc cloves of garlic
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional), add if you are going to use this on a pizza or pie as a cheese substitute
- Rinse cashew nuts and soak the nuts in a bowl of water, make sure you have about 5 cm of water above the nuts. Place in the fridge overnight or for at least 3 hours to soak.
- Add garlic and fresh herbs to a food processor, and process until finely chopped.
- Drain and rinse the nuts, place the nuts in the food processor, and process until it forms like a dough.
- Add, salt, pepper, lemon juice and a few tablespoons of water (+ olive oil if you are going to use this cheese in the oven). Process until as smooth as possible. If the cheese is too firm and doesn’t process, then add more water.
- If you own a Vitamix, then of course you will have a smoother result.
- The cheese can be stored in the refrigerator for about 5-6 days.
- Olives, sun-dried tomatoes, capers and oregano for a more Mediterranean flavour
- Roasted peppers, oregano + jalapeños
- Finely chopped chives and more lemon juice for a Scandi touch