I absolutely love apple cake and pies in autumn, but since I’ve discovered I have even more food-intolerances/allergies this year, one of them unfortunately being fresh apples (just one variety so far) I do not dare to make apple pie. So I need to get creative but as there is an abundance of other fruits to use, there is plenty to discover :)
I decided to try to make a plum cake. And since I had a bottle of Tokaji in the fridge, I deiced to get creative and marinate the plums in this plus a vanilla bean stalk overnight.
I’m really happy with the result. The cake turned out to be really flavourful and perfect with vegan vanilla custard. Yum!
So without further ado, here is the recipe:
You’ll need a round pie dish: approx 20 cm radius
200 C, 40-50 minutes
- 8 pcs plums, halved
- 1-2 dl almonds, chopped
- 4 dl flour
- 3 dl dessert wine, I used Tokaji
- 1 vanilla bean stalk
- 2 dl sugar
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 50 g vegetable margarine
- 2 dl oat cream, or plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 pinch of ginger powder
- 1 pinch muscat nut powder
The day before;
- Half the plums and remove the pit.
- Add them to a jar, add the vanilla stalk, or vanilla powder, pour over the dessert wine, then let stand in the fridge until the next day.
- I turn the plums around approx. 2-4 times when they marinate in the fridge.
Making the cake batter;
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, except the spices. (flour, sugar and baking powder)
- Melt vegetable margarine and date syrup in a pot on the stove. Reduce the heat as soon as the margarine starts to melt. Mix in the dry spices, stir well and remove from heat. Add the oat cream. Stir well.
- Pour the liquid into the bowl with the dry ingredients at the same time as you stir the batter together. Stir quickly into a thick and smooth batter.
- Add the batter to a greased pie dish, decorate it with the plums, add chopped almonds and drizzle additional date syrup on top.
- Place in a preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes at 200 C.
- Serve with vegan vanilla custard or vegan ice cream.
Plump marinated plums :)