This is one of my cocktail cordials. It’s great on its own or during Christmas as a substitute for the Swedish Glögg. A Swedish version of Glühwein which I honestly never liked at all!
To make this into a boozy cocktail – try one of the following:
2 cl brandy or dark rum, per serving (1,5 dl)
2 cl tequila, shaken with ice, per serving
a cava with apricot notes or champagne (⅓ of a champagne flute, per serving)
- 2 pcs organic oranges
- 2 pcs cinnamon sticks
- 12 pcs cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cm fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- orange peel from both oranges
- 5 dl water
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar sugar or maple syrup
- Juice the oranges.
- Cut off the orange peel and ensure all white bits are removed.
- Add orange juice, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, orange peel, ginger and water to a pot. Bring to boil then reduce the heat.
- Let simmer on very low heat for 2-3 hours under a lid.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool down. Add the coconut nectar once cold, and store the cordial in the fridge overnight.
- Strain if preferred and heat up again with liquor of choice on low heat, be careful do not boil the cordial.