Swedish vegan saffron buns
This is a traditional Swedish recipe that Swedes eat at the first of advent and then continue to enjoy throughout the Christmas season. It takes a bit of time to make, but its super fun once you have done your dough to create buns in different shapes.
Write a review
- 100 grams/3,4 oz of vegetable margarine
- 5 dl / 500 ml / 2 cups oat-milk, or other type of plant-derived milk. For extra moist buns, use 2,5 dl / 250 ml oat milk and 2,5 dl / 250 ml oat cream. In cups this use - 1 cup oat-milk, 1 cup oat cream.
- 50 grams / 1.7 oz of yeast (fresh yeast – you can also use dry yeast, use on sachet)
- 2 sachets of saffron (0,5 gram each 0,03 oz in total)
- 1,5 dl / 150 ml / 10,5 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 17 dl / 1700 ml / 7 cups flour (including flour to bake with)
- 2 dl/ 200 ml / ¾ cup raisins
- 1. Melt the vegetable margarine in a pot and add sugar and oat milk - heat to specified temperature for the brand of yeast you are using. Gently pour down you yeast while stirring.
- 2. Add salt, saffron and raisins. Stir. Pour the liquid into a dough bowl.
- 3. Add the flour, scoop by scoop into your bowl as your stir and work into a dough. Continue working the dough until it becomes shiny and smooth. The dough should not stick to the edges of the bowl. Note that if the dough is a bit looser/ more airy and not as "hard", you get buns that are more moist and not so dry. It’s a good thing!
- 4. Cover the bowl with a baking cloth or a lid. Let the dough rise in the bowl for 40 minutes in a draft-free place.
- 5. After 40 minutes, work your dough out on a breadboard, and split into smaller sections.
- 6. Roll out pieces of similar size and create your buns. Decorate with any additional raisins.
- 7. Place your buns on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- 8. Let your buns rise for another 40 minutes on the baking tray, covered with a baking cloth.
- 9. Brush the buns with sugar water before baking them in the oven - at 225 C / 437 F degrees for 5-8 minutes. The saffron buns should be lightly brown on top - then you know that the buns are ready and it is time to remove them from the oven.
Elegantly Vegan http://elegantlyvegan.com/wpui/