Just because you are a vegan does not mean you can indulge in a crisp and sweet meringue. Use this base recipe to produce a fluffy, crisp meringue to add to ice cream sundaes, trifles or make a pavlova.
Flavour the meringues by adding vanilla, rosewater or any other flavour you can come up with during the first batch with sugar.
This batch yields about 20-25 pcs of meringues which are approx. 3 cm in diameter.
Note that these meringues will become brittle when stored in a longer period. Consume these within 1-2 weeks of making.
- 1,5 dl aquafaba
- 2 dl white sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Add aquafaba to a bowl, add lemon juice and 1 dl of sugar.
- Whisk until the sugar has dissolved and merged with the liquid.
- Add the remaining sugar and whisk until you have a firm foam.
- You should be able to hold the bowl upside down, and the foam should not fall out.
- Add to a piping bag, with whatever nozzle you fancy and create small meringues on a tray covered with baking paper.
- Place in the middle of an oven, pre-heated and bake for 45 minutes. (or more if they are larger, less if they are smaller then 3 cm in diameter).
- You know that the meringues are ready when they let go of the baking sheet easily.