Vegan Mince Pies with a Rich home made Filling
Write a review
- 2 dl / 200 ml / ¾ cup cranberries (frozen)
- 2 dl / 200 ml / ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1,5 dl / 150 ml / ⅓ cup sultanas
- 1,5 dl / 150 ml / 5 fl oz single malt whiskey
- 0,5 dl / 50 ml / 4 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 1 pc orange, juiced
- 1 pc apple, peeled and grated
- 25 gram / 0,9 oz vegan butter
- 2 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 0,5 tsp ginger powder
Vegan Mince Pie Pastry
- 250 gram / 9 oz vegan butter
- 4 dl / 400 ml / 1 2/4 cups flour
- 1 dl / 100 ml / 8 tbsp almond flour
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- 1,5 tbsp cinnamon powder
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- powdered sugar
- Add whiskey, orange juice, grated apple and sultanas to a pot. Let soak for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the pot to the stove and turn on the heat on the plate.
- Add walnuts, sugar, cranberries, cinnamon, ginger and clove. Once the filling start to boil, lower the heat and let the filling simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Once the fruit and berries have merged, add the vegan butter and let it melt out with the filling. Let cook together for another 5-10 minutes on very low heat.
- Once the filling is ready you can store it in a sterilized jar in the fridge - if it’s not used straight away.
Vegan Mince Pie Pastry
- Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and almond flour in a large bowl.
- Slice up the vegan butter in cubes and work in piece by piece in with the other ingredients in the bowl.
- Add a splash of cold water half way through adding the butter and work into the dough. Continue to add butter until you have worked in the fat with the flour to an even and firm dough.
- Let the dough rest for an hour or so in the fridge before use.
- Once the dough has rested and is firm enough, bake it out on a clean surface with a rolling pin with some extra flour.
- Create pie shells, add to a muffin tray.
- Add the filling and then create the lids for the pies.
- Seal the pies so that the lid is combined with the bottom of the pie.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 200 C for 15 - 25 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and dust powdered sugar on top.
- Serve either as they are or with whipped vegan cream or similar.
- My crusts are approx 3-4 mm thin, and I use a glass to get the round shape and add the dough to a muffin tray and work into a small pie shape.
- I use a slightly smaller glass for the lid. However you can use a cookie cutter to create cute lids in all types of christmassy shapes.
- The mince pies on the image has lost their shape since these are baked in the oven without a tray from frozen. I did the mistake to bake them without the tray - don't do that! If you decide to freeze them do so before you bake them in the oven, however, pop the pies back in the tray before baking them in the oven, once you remove them from the freezer again.
Elegantly Vegan http://elegantlyvegan.com/wpui/
[…] Vegan Mince Pies with a Rich Home Made Filling by Elegantly Vegan […]
[…] 31. Vegan Mince Pies With Rich Home-Made Filling by Elegantly Vegan […]
Comments are closed.