As you may have noticed, this is the year that I discovered cognac and used it endlessly for experiments in the kitchen. Mustard is no exception and I’ve created a very grown-up, sophisticated and very strong mustard recipe for this year’s vegan Christmas table.
Yields: approx 750 ml
- 6 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 1,5 tbsp good quality cognac
- 1,5 dl water
- 6 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated orange peel
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 pc bay leaf
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Mustard powder to add additional strength, if preferred
- Soak mustard seeds in water, with a finely crumbled bay leaf and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the soaked seeds the day after with a hand blender until you reach the desired texture.
- Add vinegar, salt, cognac, orange peel, muscovado sugar and any additional mustard powder and mix thoroughly.
- Let stand to set overnight.
- Lastly, add the rapeseed oil and mix for another 4-5 minutes until the mustard is fluffy and smooth.
- Add to sterilised glass jars and store in a dark and cool place.